Specialized Project: Early Education & Child Care
The main objective of these projects is to help some of the most vulnerable of any community, young children. Unable to work or provide for themselves just yet, local children need the help of their community to stay healthy, grow, learn & transition into productive & successful members of society. These volunteer projects are designed to help aid this process for both orphans & children coming from families with fewer resources. Volunteers may also decide they want to help struggling to overcome acute challenges, such as disabilities or an HIV/AIDS diagnosis, who also need care, education & support during their treatment regimen.
Some of the activities that volunteers may be responsible for:
- Monitoring nutrition & growth in children;
- Providing counseling, care & support to children affected by HIV/AIDS;
- Helping the staff with their daily routines (i.e. lunch time);
- Helping children with hygiene rituals;
- Caring & aiding those children who need additional assistance with common tasks;
- Assisting the children in developing good communication skills;
- Working alongside teachers during pre-school classes;
- Leading & assisting with fun & educational activities (i.e. games, arts & crafts, sports, music);
- Teaching basic computer skills;
- Assisting the children in developing good communication skills & good manners;
- Teaching English.