Specialized Project: Education
Participants work with the local community to improve the quality of education & care in day care centers, special institutions, & regular schools. Additionally, a variety of educational & confidence building activities are organized for the benefit of adolescent girls & women of the local community. These activities are geared towards promoting opportunities of this often neglected section of the community by giving them a sense of self-worth & empowerment. These programs also include working with communities of children who have been limited to helping with area trades or have not had access to stable & permanent educational institutions, meaning they are unable to get consistent & well-rounded education.
The activities done by volunteers primarily relate to three broad areas: education, care, & empowerment. While the needs of each region differ due to varied cultures, climate, & social conditions, there are some common activities offered:
- Early childhood care & education;
- Organizing recreational activities;
- Preparing teaching materials;
- Providing additional support to those students who have fallen behind;
- Teaching basic subjects, like mathematics & literacy, with creative lessons;
- Providing infrastructural alternatives to schools, like home visits;
- Working with mentally & physically challenged students;
- Women’s empowerment through computer training & English classes;
- Absorbing some of the children’s communal responsibilities so that they may have time to attend schools & lessons.